Friday 15 April 2011

THE BUSIEST ROOM IN THE HOUSE!


The Studio

Welcome to my creative space...known as the studio - although it could also be called the sewing room, the spray booth, the wing factory etc. So many things get done in this room and all of them creative, so obviously it's my favourite room in the house. At any one time half a dozen 'projects' will be on the go, so consequently it is often the messiest room in the house as well.


One of those troublesome stashes that needs the 'Cassie' magic!
 Over past months both my daughter and I have been working together creating our bits of 'whimsy' for our shop on etsy. Amongst the clutter I know where most things are...but have been known to waste precious hours looking for that 'thing'....'I'm sure I've got one (some), I'm sure I saw it last time I was looking for that other 'thing'....now where could it be.'  Is a common thread when I'm creating. Not so bad when it's just you, but when another person gets thrown into the mix - AND, she happens to be a mad de-clutterer...well no prizes for guessing what's been happening.


Cotton rack

Of course I do make an effort to be organised.
Let's face it, no-one can get much done amidst utter chaos.
Over the years I've come up with just one or two bright ideas all by myself.
My cottons used to be in a box...what a nightmare...you can imagine what happened everytime I went looking for a colour. Over time the tangles were horrendous! 
Now, I just reach out and grab the one I need. One important tip though, make sure the rack is away from sunlight or your threads will deteriorate.
Simple to make; one board sized to your requirements, large nails evenly spaced and there you have it.








keeping the bits in order
These little baskets, about $2 each, keep a multitude of usually messy items under control.
The white shelving unit was a great find at an op-shop. Can't remember how much but it has well and truly earned its keep.
Unfortunately the baskets were a tad too large to fit neatly, but they do the job and I IGNORE  their reluctance to sit absolutely straight...a girl can't have everything!

The glitter however, has never remained under my control. I love a bit of sparkle...A BIT OF SPARKLE.... the jars breed in the night, I'm sure. What started out as a collection that fitted neatly into one deep drawer has grown, and grown and grown! This shelf was a find for $5 at a garage sale but very quickly overflowed, as you can see by the teetering towers on top. So the glitter has ventured into two more shelves and a few other places (says she sheepishly). Mind you, I was proud to be able to say to a recent customer 'I can make your item with any colour you can imagine' and it's true. Not content with the range of colours available I mix and brew up my own dazzling concoctions...which leads to more jars....ahem.
Well, just a quick glimpse into my creative space...there's lots more...but that's for another day.
Happy crafting!




2 comments:

  1. Love it! Look forward to many decluttering sessions to come :o) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...that is a great idea with your cottons!
    My craft room, at the moment, is beyond disgust. I sigh when I see how de-cluttered Cassie and you are.

    ReplyDelete