Tuesday 22 March 2011

WHY I DO WHAT I DO


'BLIP'
I have loved drawing since I was old enough to grab a pencil. When my mother would call me to see what I was up to it would always be 'drawing' or 'reading'. And, as you can see I've stayed true to my first love. The little bat guy, affectionately known as 'Blip' I drew for a youth club as their mascot for their hangout 'The Cave'. I have been dying to do him in a 3-D medium ever since, something I've yet to find the time to do. He's a happy fellow and patient too, I know he'll wait.

This illustration was the cover for a book I helped illustrate for writer Nadine Bates. This amazing lady just wandered into my shop one day and as we chatted about our love of all things fey a friendship was born and I was thrilled to be a part of this wonderful creation. I would love to work with her again as she sparks my creative flame and is a very, special person.

Another of the things I love to do is sculpt with wire and fabric. As well as fairy wings (of which I have made around 4000 at last count...frightening) occasionally I'm driven to do something completely out of the box like this headpiece. I named it 'Gilded Lily' as it looked like some big exotic bloom when I was finished. Getting to do these is a rare treat because I'm usually so caught up with the regular orders from my shop 'Flights of Fancy'
There just never seem to be enough hours in the day to get all these projects done, but with any luck I'll die with a pair of scissors, a paintbrush or the trusty hot glue gun in my hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment